torn muscle with calcification

Okay, I have been off the list for awhile because I'm trying to write a
dissertation on molecular genetics and so the group may have just discussed
this...

My mare apparently injured her left rear thigh muscle and now has a
calcified area that feels about the size of a thumb located in the very
back of her thigh. The result is that when she is walking she doesn't
extend as far forward with her left leg...or rather, she pulls it back
sooner. This motion only started with the cold weather indicating it only
formed in tha fall or it was more noticable in the cold weather. The vet
assured me this was not a "lameness" and we discussed stretching movements
and warm up to improve her motion. Nevertheless, I am devisated.

She is a beautiful mare (reg. 1/2 arab, palomino) and so I could always
breed her, but problem is that I want to ride her! She is so very talented
and athletic. We haven't been together long enough to get out on the trail
so it remains to be seen if she has the head for that. I had envisioned
lively, 25 mile rides as our goal. 50's and beyond were contingent upon my
condition! I planned to show her for fun as a back up because I've never
had such a pretty horse before, and showing is so boring.

My questions;
Can anyone suggest reference for more info on ostyofibromyopothy (may be
spelled wrong) or share their experience.
Can anyone tell me is they are able to use horses with this problem for
distance riding and to what extent.
Can anyone offer words of support, I am sick over this and really can't get
work done. You know how it is...happiness is riding your healthy horse.

Thanks- elise