Re: ridecamp-d Digest V98 #248

>Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 14:08:35 -0800
>From: Kimberly Price <PLOUGH1@ix.netcom.com>
>To: "ridecamp@endurance.net" <ridecamp@endurance.net>
>Subject: saddle fit question

>No..I havn't settled on a saddle yet....saddle fitting is right down
>there with job applying, but which is worse?!?

 applying for a job is the hardest work I have ever done!

>My real question is, on an english saddle, how far on either side of the
>spinebone can the saddle touch?

The saddle should never touch the spinal processes, the part of the spine
that is at the top. This includes the withers and the entire length of the
spine. The saddle should clear the boney parts by at least one inch if not
more. This will depend on your horse's build, look for the muscle parts
just either side of the spine to support the saddle.

>2nd question; when the horse bends, is it permisable or logical that a
>part of the saddle will touch the spine as it can't bend too?

Never!!!!!!!!

>thanks!
>Kimberly  (&Mystery the Morab...."boy I feel good now...lets gallop!!")
>Black Mountain Ranch, Pt.Reyes, CA

>------------------------------
Now,  rather than guess at the kind of fit you are getting check the horse
and the saddle using a Saddle Tech guage. Directly tranfers the shape, in
3 dimensions, of the horse's back to a saddle. If the guage doesn't fit
the horse and  the saddle then the saddle  won't fit the horse!  Easy to
use and accurate. Rent it from The Australian Connection, 916-791-1542,
located in Sacramento Ca. area.

Raymond Santana
Network  Operations
UC Davis Medical Center