Re: Arabian Bloodlines

Mary Ann,

On Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 18:05:17 -0600, you wrote:

>>>Bloodlines DO make some difference, but it should be taken into
consideration for the overall picture.  Otherwise you are using tunnel
vision.  Horses get characteristics from ALL in the bloodline.<<<

        So far I agree with you... however, you also said:

>>Some unfortunately were LINE bred so that undesireable characteristics
showed up more and more.  Some of the 'line breed' horses are simple
'inbred"!!  So the 'show' people in their attempt to get a horse that looks
like the art's picture, did a LOT of close breeding.  When that happens, the
offspring can have bad characteristics.<<<<

        Also partially true, but don't forget the converse -- line breeding
can isolate and strengthen the DESIRABLE characteristics.... So can
in-breeding, but I think that's a tad risky --- however, there IS *Raffles!

>>Genetics are complicated, but like a computer, GARBAGE IN, GARBAGE OUT!!<<

        Again, the converse can be true.  A breeder who keeps his or her
sights focused on the end product can indeed develop a line (with judicious
use of in, line breeding and out crossing )that breeds true -- we can
usually recognize Gainey (Ferzon) bred, Munson bred, and the
Kellogg-Crabbets.  The "recent" Russian imports are a testimony to breeding
for function (utilizing to advantage one of the USA export errors ---
Raktha, who influenced Arabian horses in South Africa as well as in Russia),
and they are recognizable.

        No matter what we breed, there are chances for error.  An
acquaintance of mine bred three generations of Morgans, resulting in
superlative physical specimens --- note that I said "physical"....  He
nearly switched to Arabians at that point!

Barbara (Who has the sense NOT to breed Larca -- one of her in the world is
quite enough!)