Re: Horses

In a message dated 98-03-16 15:02:51 EST, aussie@aa.net writes:

<< After you get the "race" into your horse, how do you get the "race" out of
 your horse, with 200 years of racing blood coursing through the veins?
 I'm speaking of pack trips on steep rocky terrain carrying a load. Does it
 become, "When we're here, we don't compete, my life depends on you, you
 silly goose!"  and therefore a matter of training?  The important thing at
 times, is not to catch up, but to take a step and think, and take a step and
 think.   How can I use the same horse, when it may take a year to wash the
 race out of her?    Judy >>

First of all, in my experience, the most successful endurance horses are not
usually the ones who are constantly determined to race.  I tend to select away
from these, and choose calmer candidates.  The great ones are very
competitive, but in a very methodical way.  They switch off at vet checks,
they switch off at the finish, and they sleep the night before the ride,
except when they are totally absorbed with stuffing their faces.

Secondly, this is exactly why I so strongly recommend other life experiences
for endurance horses.  Many of my horses pack.  Some have been shown.  Some
have worked cows.  I really miss my ranch upbringing where we spent hours
walking and trotting, checking cows--that was great education for young
horses.  At rides, I never allow my horses to "race" until about their third
season, and then only when I choose to race and ask them to race.  Before I
ever ask for racing at a ride, I teach them to run at home, in a controlled
situation, on MY terms.  This also includes STOPPING on my terms and going
back to a relaxed pace.

Thirdly, when actually at rides with a young horse, I will mount BEFORE the
start, and ride the other direction, so that my horse does not get caught up
in the hullabaloo at the start.  I will ride around until other people doing
the same thing begin to leave, and I will calmly leave with them.  I will do
everything in my power to never let the horse think that there is anything
here to be overly excited about.

Fourthly, if the horse gets the idea that this is a race anyway, I will go a
longer distance on his next ride.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)