Groundwork

What we mean by groundwork is :

1.  Working with the horse in hand on the ground breaking the hind quarters loose and bring the front end through.  If your horse does not know how to break over in the back, he could, and more than likely, will get in trouble should he back in a panic.

2.  Teach him to back on the ground

3.  Teach him to pay attention to you even though there might be other horses around.  You are the one upon whom he must rely under all conditions.  Teach to overcome his natural instinct to fight or flee and to stay with you because you will protect him and keep him out of trouble.

4.  Order the tape "Groundwork" by Buck Brannaman.  It is a two hour tape that really spells out just what it is all about.  Call 1 800-cow-dog, it's in Calif. to order the tape.  You will not be sorry you did.  A lot of problems that a lot of riders experience, be they enduro, competitive, or pleasure, could be avoided, had they just done their homework on the ground first.  The only way to get through to a horse is to get to his feet.  When you watch the tape, you will understand what I just said.

Should you order the tape, and I sincerely hope you do, I would like to know what you think and how you are doing with the groundwork.

Good luck,

Dottie, Destiny and the Wild Bunch