Re: Horses

In a message dated 98-03-15 14:32:01 EST, cadair@prodigy.net writes:

<< It would be interesting if some of the oldtimers would
 review their endurance horses and fill us in on what they have learned over
 the years. I don't have the high mileage (can we count years?) but I know I
 like a sensible quiet horse that I can ride a 50 on Sat and check cows with
 on Tues. or ride a 25 on Sat and let my husband win a jackpot with on
 Sunday... ("let", don't you love that one!)
 Time to go check cows.
  Cathy >>

Well, Cathy, I am only intermediate mileage (5000+, but that ain't so much
these days), but all my horses can check cows, chase cows, pack (some have
even packed deer), and do just about whatever I want them to do.  I find that
horses with that sort of attitude eat well before, during and after rides,
don't mind the stuff that goes on at vet checks, and in general, just are
easier to endurance ride than their fussier counterparts.  I think it is an
essential ingredient to being a good endurance horse, myself.

Heidi