pipelines, septic systems

There is no safety reason not to ride over the top of a normal gas, water or petroleum pipe line.  Safety dictates that they be covered to allow even heavy machinery to cross them.  Septic systems are another matter.  A normal septic system gets rid of much of the water by evaporation up to the air.  Horses, cars or whatever would compact the soil and stop this evaporation causing the system to fail.  Moral: don't pasture your horse over the septic system unless you want to put in a new one.

Re: The great "What do I tell others I do" debate
I usually call it "Distance riding" which covers endurance, limited distance, competitive riding, CTR, and whatever.
Ed and Wendy Hauser
Sisu Farm
1140 37th St.
Hudson, WI 54016