25 mi vs. 50 mi rides

I had to jump in on the discussion about distance.  I did my first distance
ride in the fall of 1990. A 25 mi. CTR.  I was riding my 13 yr. old show
Arabian gelding. Fortunately, an experienced rider took me by the hand that
day and led through the ride. We finished 3rd in our weight division and I was
hooked.  After a full year of CTR including a 2 day 50 I decided it was time
for a 50 Endurance.  It was the longest day of my life.  It took 9 h 53 min.
on a hot summer day. But again I was hooked. As I did more 25 milers the
distance got easier for me.  They were never difficult for the horse, just the
rider. I am now on my third horse and the 50's are getting easy.(easier) But,
what I really wanted to point out is how easy they are on the horse.  I bought
a part Arab to do 50's with and he didn't quite work out. Hard to keep sound,
not really a competitive nature. He got put on the back burner (read "back-up
horse").  Last summer my purebred got hurt. In August it was time to get out
the "back-up Horse". He'd been turned out for 3 years with minimal riding. An
occasional weekend here and there. Put shoes on him on a Thurs. Went for
conditioning ride on a Saturday. A few short rides the following week and the
next weekend took him on a 25 mi CTR. He vetted in with a pulse of 32. After
25 miles, vetted out at 20 minutes with a pulse of 36.  Ended up overall ride
Champion. He was in reasonable shape but I rode better(better pace).  Two
months later with some more minimal riding I took him on a 25 mi LD endurance
ride in rugged terrain in less than desireable weather (wet and cold) and got
4th place and BC.  I have to agree any horse in reasonable shape for pleasure
riding that's not grossly overweight can complete 25 miles in less that 6
hours. They were made for it. We were not, however, neccessarily made for
riding that long and it's harder on us.
Just my .02 this weekend.
Sallie and Telly (What? retirement's over?) and Matty (When is it my turn
again?)