100/2-day 100

>Not that I'll get to do a 100-miler anytime soon, but I'm curious about the
>difference it makes to the horse whether you do it in one day or two.

Hi Lori:

I'm certainly not an expert, by any stretch of the imagination.  My last
three rides have been:  100,(one day) 205, (four days)
and 150 (three days).  I keep changing my opinion on what I think is the
hardest for me, and/or for the horse.  Honestly, I think it varies.  There
are so many variables that it is truly hard to determine which is harder
for the horse, or the rider at any given time.  Sometimes I think just how
*I* do as a rider affects the horse tremendously, so I can't always go by
how the horse does, but rather, how we do as a team.

>In case you're wondering, my question is:  is a two-day 100 much easier on
>the horse, not easier at all, or harder?

It's probably easier on a younger or inexperienced horse that is doing
those type of miles for the first time.  I took my younger horse on his
first 2-day 100 (actually, it was two 50's, same thing...), and was glad
that I did that rather than do a one day 100 on him.  It takes a lot of
strategy and planning to get thru either.  If you ride too hard in the
first 50 miles of either a 2-day 100 or a one day 100, you are going to
blow it no matter what.

>only thinking of myself.  I'd be pretty darn sore come Sunday morning and
>not thrilled about climbing aboard and doing 50 more.  Then

But it is so exciting! (when you are actually doing it).  you don't even
think "I'm sore", but rather "I can't wait, I GET to RIDE again today!".
Your mind set is completely different.  That is how you get thru a
multiday, and get up day after day after day and ride.

I think a lot of riders will tell you that a 2-day 100 is easier on the
rider.  I don't entirely agree with that, but again that can be a big
variable.

There is something really special about riding a one day 100 and becoming
one with your horse...you reach a point where you don't want it to
end...where nothing else matters....your fatigue fades away, your worries,
your fears...you realize how much you completely trust your horse...and you
know that unless somebody else has actually experienced that first hand,
they have no way to comprehend how it feels.

A good horse makes it easy, no matter what the distance.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville
& Dream Weaver, 1330 miles