Re: LD miles, NOT FLUFF, and Endurance Thrills

In a message dated 98-03-14 21:42:43 EST, jlong@mti.net writes:

<< Along with this, one of my "pet peeves" is people who ride at night with a
 flashlight on all the time -- especially a helmet light -- and  don't turn it
 off when they encounter or follow another rider.   >>

Excellent point, Joe.  Actually, I find that riding with a constant, focused
light source is a detriment to the horse.  It keeps him from dilating his
pupils fully for good night vision, and also does not necessarily focus where
he needs to see.  The most light I want on the horse is a few glow sticks, and
if those are on his chest, he is not looking at them and blinding himself.
They shed a soft, unfocused light, and are somewhat beneficial, IMHO.  I only
carry a flashlight in case I have to clarify direction at an intersection or
some such, but I almost never use it.

By the way, there is an article on night riding at my website
(www.endurance.net/sagehill/) under the "Educational Tidbits" section, for
those who are interested.

Heidi