defending good performances

Although I swore to myself that I would not get involved in this
discussion  I can't help myself!    First let me say that I really
don't care about getting mileage credit for the LDs.  What is much
more disturbing here is the not so subtle underlying philosophy.  I
fully support the concept of rewarding good performances.  I
absolutely agree that making a fuss over mediocre performances is
fatal to any sport.  It would be nothing more than a group ride.
Yet I am I wrong in my perception that many feel that they are
automatically turning in a more admirable performance by completing
the longest possible distance that they can get through without
disqualification or overt injury to their animal?  Therefore a very
slow 100 mile finish is seemingly considered a better
performance than someone finishing near the front of the  pack with
good recoveries in the 50?   Which horse is the better athlete and
which came prepared for the  event as a competition?  Aren't these
the determinants in any sport?  I'd say if you are consistently just
"finishing" you need to rethink your horse's aptitudes and your
approach to training, and having a group of people who stroke your
ego about what you've done does not legitimize this as a sport.  In
the end you are doing exactly what is NOT intended.   You are
recognizing mediocre performances, however the person may have had a
hard effort.   Please let us adopt a respect for excellent
performances, whether we call the events "long distance", "aerobic",
"endurance" or "ultra"!   Just my very newbie perspective....

have a good weekend all,
 Beth