Re: A note of caution on LD statistics

In a message dated 98-03-13 09:36:17 EST, mmaul@flash.net writes:

<< If there were a good awards program and recognition for them - it might be
a lot
 more likely that these would all become members though.

There IS a whole program for LD's!!  Mileage, patches, etc.  The whole point
of not making MORE of a program is to encourage them to move up to endurance
rides.  I do not feel that there should be any more national recognition than
there is for what is an entry level.  The place to make LD's feel at home is
at the local level, and I know most of the ride managers in my area try hard
to do that.  The reason that so many LD's are not members is that they are out
there getting their feet wet for the first time.  In my experience, they join
AERC and soon cease to be LD's, and a whole new group of LD's takes their
place.  That's the whole point of having LD's and it seems to be working.  I
don't see those non-member LD's being the same people over and over, but
rather an ever-changing group of new riders.  I am totally amazed at the
hubbub over this issue.  I rarely see "career" LD's in this area--people start
there, like it, and work their way up to endurance rides.  Where's the beef,
folks????????

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)