Lds and facts?

Ken Cook wrote:
"earned" the right to endurance miles and to be called
an Endurance rider. Get the title the old fashion way, earn
it............. Flame away... But facts are facts!!!!

Ken, what facts are you talking about here?  Seems that the only fact
is that the by laws define endurance as 50 miles or greater. The
organization has a right to set its own rules.  Sandy, I think, is
also right in saying that an event lasting 2-6 hours is a physiologic
test of endurance.  It certainly isn't a test of speed or strength.
It is also not considered an accomplishment by many because it is
done slowly.  Of course it is done slowly because these same bylaws
mandate that it is used as a training ride, and riders bringing a
very fit horse safely through the course to the best of their
collective abilities are frowned upon.   Prevailing logic being that
if the rider wants to compete with this fit horse then they should do
a longer event.  The group just does not offer races of
less than 50 miles.   Again, I'm sure this is being done to protect
horses from overzealous and inexperienced riders.  However, we could
just as easily say that the "true" test of endurance is a  2 day 150
miler, or races across the continent(s).  Thes delineations are
largely semantics.  Let's hope the US doesn't go metric!

Beth