Re: reconditioning program

In a message dated 98-03-12 11:44:35 EST, mountss@usfca.edu writes:

<< Is it necessary to proceed this slowly for the circumstances described?  It
 seemed pretty conservateive to me.  Thoughts?

While I do think this is conservative in terms of time of workouts, it is not
conservative in terms of speed.  Lots of walking and slow trotting forms the
foundation.  However, as I mentioned in a previous post, one can work LD rides
into this program as the once-weekly longer ride, and simply proceed through
the LD using the walk and slow trot.

BTW--In my opinion, the walk is the most neglected gait on most endurance
horses anyway, and the early phase of conditioning is the ideal time to teach
the horse to really move out at a walk and utilize it.  My own horses can
almost all walk at around 5 to 5-1/2 mph, which is sure useful on 100's in the
dark.  Back to the early stages, though--by educating the horse to walk
efficiently, one can easily and safely complete LD's with intermittent walking
and trotting, and enjoy the sport while training, if so desired.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)