Re: Dry Rain Gear???

I live in northwest Wash. and have tried a variety of raingear, but to me,
nothing matches my wraparound oilskin drover. It's thornproof, needs little
maintenance, and tough as nails through underbrush, on or off the trail.
I've had wind driven rain blowing horizontally on me all day, and it tented
me and my horse.
 A horse stepped on my arch years ago, and crushed it; I have wide feet, and
need good boots. Rubber ones don't work for me, unless in warmer weather, I
use the stretch-on type over my Ariats. The Ariat extremes, that are
insulated and gortex lined, are good in colder weather by themselves.
Gortex rainwear is OK for a time, as long as it doesn't get torn, or washed
too often. It packs nice.  I always take my gortex pants.. Not all oilskins
are the same.  Some brands ( the cheaper ones) are so stiff they'll stand in
a corner, but the lighter ones are drapeable and just as waterproof, or
better finish than the oily wax.  I wax over the thighs where it gets
stretched, every year, and the elbows, and never never wash the coat.  I'll
use a cover over my nice saddle, and rubber gloves, either the yellow
dishwash type with a glove liner inside, or the industrial curved finger
type. The gortex gloves leaked through the seams, and I had pools of water
in my fingertips! Made for skiing.    Your helmet for your head, but a well
made hat, such as an Akubra with a very dense felt breathes, and is
waterproof without one of those tacky plastic covers.  It won't lose its
shape, either.  Ladies: don't forget to tuck your hair inside, and don't
wear a bow to clip it back, as the bow wicks water down your neck.  A neck
scarf is a good idea. Rain is cold, an insulative layer in a natural fabric
is good, either a sweatshirt, or a wool, depending......Have fun in your
beat-the-elements day!        Judy-----Original Message-----