Re: Sports Saddle vs. Soft Rider Saddle

At 11:24 AM 3/9/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm getting lots of mail from people interested in the Soft Rider Saddle
>so I'm posting the phone number of Underwood Enterprizes who makes the
>saddle and who will send out info on it- (541)826-9668.
>
>Karen
>Ormond Beach

I have two youngsters that I am starting this year.  I have a Sport Saddle
that I use on one and a Soft Rider that I use on the other.  (Jack
Underwood who makes the Soft Rider is my horse shoer)  Both saddles are
reasonably priced, the Sport Saddle at $700 to $900 and the Soft Rider at
$500 to $600.  I like the tree less saddles on my youngsters because they
seem to have more give and flexability to them.

I like both saddles.  They feel very similar, like a really fancy bare back
pad.  If you aren't used to riding bare back, these saddles may feel very
odd to you.  You can feel every little movement your horse makes, I like
it.  I do know people that do hundreds in them, I have only done training
rides of less than 20 so far.

I think that I like the Soft Rider just a bit better.  The way he does his
pads allows for preassure to be taken off of the spine, it is two separate
felt pads that velcroe on each side, similar to the ortho flex system, so
there is a space over the spine.  That is not the case with the Sport
Saddle, unless you buy a Skito pad for it (from Skito, not SS) at an
additional $135.

The Soft Rider is made from Cordura frabric and suade leather.  I feel VERY
secure in it, no way you can slip and slide out of that saddle.  The Sport
Saddle is slick leather.  They insist that it is not slick, but mine is and
I had to buy a cover for it because I felt like I would slide right out of
it if my horse moved too quickly unexpectadly.

I think the Sport Saddle will stay "looking" nice longer since it is
leather.  With wear, I think the Soft Rider will start looking "used"
sooner.  I think they will both hold up long term the same however.  I
maybe wrong on the look, it just seems that the fabric will get more of a
used look quicker.

I had Jack modify the Soft Rider a bit for endurance by putting a loop for
holding onto or sticking things into in front of the pommel.  Other wise it
is well set up for endurance.  He will modify however you want, but he has
thought the saddle thru pretty well.  He rides a lot and loves to do Tevis,
think he told me he has done it 12 times, not always finished, but loves to
go try as often as he can.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either saddle.  I think the Soft
Rider is a bit better value because I didn't have to add anything to it to
be comfortable in it.  The Sport Saddle, I had to add a Skito pad and a
sheepskin seat cover, that was an extra $250.

Oh, if you look at the Soft Rider, consider the Tapadero stirrups.  I let
Jack talk me into them and they are nice.  They are a little heavier and
bulky, but really nice to ride in.  Protect the feet well and he uses a
wide stirrup, 4" I think.  Didn't think I'd like them, but he was right,
they are nice.

Well, my opinion, for what it's worth.

Cathy, in S. Oregon