Re: Cribbing Solved!!?

REPLY TO 03/09/98 05:33 FROM ridecamp@endurance.net: Cribbing Solved!!?

[74940] MON 03/09/98 05:33 FROM ridecamp@endurance.net: Cribbing Solved!!?;
        31 LINES

        Thanks for all the suggestions on the cribbing problem. I think I have i
t relatively under control. Saturday morning I was out feeding in a driving rain
storm when I saw him cribbibg again. THAT DID IT. I cross wired a pasture settin
g for cedar corner post and using the metal posts in between them. What about th
e cedar posts you say, well I ran a piece of the electrical tape from one side t
o the other making a triangle at every corner. He will have to reach very far to get those posts. I stuck him in and of course he was a little antsy at first.
He imidateley went to one of the corners until he realized he could'nt reach
them. HE was not a happy camper. But throughout the day I never saw him crib, asa matter of fact he was actually grazing more. Maybe he will finnally pick up
some weight.  Mind over horse, until he starts cribbing on the metal posts.

Thanks,
Micah Callough
------
Just a thought, but I am pretty nervous putting horses in areas with
metal T-posts.  It is pretty common in this county as it is cheap
fencing, but I have also seen too many horses that have been run
through in the chest or barrel by T-posts.  One thing you can do to
make then safter is to buy the caps that are carried in the electric
fence section of the hardward store.  Some also have a slot for
electric tape or wire.   If you jam them on the T-post very hard,
they could save your horses life!

Karen

To:  ridecamp@endurance.net