Re: Hw vs Fw

Truman,  Nice thread to follow.  Our Junior rider weighs 138 soaking wet.
Rides a nice mare with easy trot.  When in training the pulse of this mare
is usually 10 to 15 beats below mine, unless we are going up hill.  Then it
really jumps.  The muscle bulk on my gelding is a lot more than on the
mare.  Part of that goes to his build.  The rest goes to having to carry my
233#.  So whats going on here?  A higher  pulse due to my weight.  Both
horses by the way have been at it for the same amount of time.  Ride and
race together.  While out on rides when my junior rider is not along I'll
ask a lightweight that I may be riding with; whats your pulse?.  And just
about every time they will be 10 to 15 beats under Big Red.  Now what this
means over 50 or 100 miles, I'm not sure.  If the heart is working harder,
what does that mean in relation to all the other peramiters by which we
judge B.C.?  Where we do excell is going up and down hills.  I'm with you,
we don't stand a chance on the flats? Wonder why?  Must be the time factor
working against us.  And finally one last comment.  Its very rare we have
the chance to beat a lightweight over the line.  I've always been willing
to give that to them.  I'd just like the scraps of whats  left, B.C.
All for tonight.....Jerry Fruth....Hickory Ridge...Standing JABASK KNIGHT