Re: Energy used in a 50 by LW vs HW by your formula

In a message dated 98-03-07 09:00:35 EST, hikryrdg@evansville.net writes:

<< Heidi, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I  don't expect anything out
 of life other than the cut the I.R.S. takes each year.  What I do know is
 that the 1/2 point favors the mass, not the best.   >>

Jerry, Beauty does not even enter into my BC judging system.  Everything boils
down to numbers, and I don't give a hoot if the horse was ridden by Godzilla
or a fly.  I don't care if it is a Roman-nosed plug that moves like a draft
horse, or the fanciest-moving Arab I ever saw.  What DOES matter is that it
moves normally for its type (even a heavy-muscled QH can exhibit impulsion and
fluid motion if one knows what to look for), has good recoveries, good
metabolics, etc., etc.  At Circuit Rider last fall, the high vet score was
brought to me by Gail Williams, who tacked in at 253.  She lost BC just barely
to the second highest vet score, Victoria White, who had her on time by a LONG
margin, but also was not the first-place horse.  (4th, I think.)  The first
three horses were pretty well maxed out, and weren't even in the ballpark.  At
a ride a few month earlier that had back-to-back 50's, I had a heavyweight
gloating about how he was going to win the award, because the other
heavyweight had ridden the day before and his horse wasn't quite as spiffy as
he could have been.  This guy's horse looked pretty trashed, too--there IS
justice, because his quiet, polite wife who didn't say a word had a horse in
GREAT shape, and sailed away with the award...  She was either on the heavy
end of lightweight or a middleweight, so not exactly tiny, either, BTW.
Incidentally, the HW that wasn't so spiffy the second day DID take BC the
first day...

Sorry, you get no sympathy from me, as I see great horses ridden at all
weights, and I try to score so that the time and weight factors have
appropriate input relative to vet score.  May the best horse win.

Heidi Smith, DVMm--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)