Re: Sciatica

<< As long as we have this thread going about back pain, particularly bad
 disks and chiropractors versus physical therapists etc., what opinions
 do you all have about sciatica?  I'm trying to decide what to do.  I
 think it's one reason I have trouble keeping my heels down - especially
 the left one, where the sciatica is (mostly).  I'm comfortable riding,
 but as my body changes to ride, driving a car and sitting in a chair at
 work is occasionally uncomfortable.

Sciatica can have many causes. There can be a vertebral subluxation, L5,
Sacrum or there can be a rotation in the illia, or a restriction in the deep
lateral rotators (muscles).
The fact that you say you can not keep your heels down, lends me to believe
there could be either a rotation ( this would be unilateral) or you have short
soft tissue in the rear of the body, hamstrings etc.
The sciatic nerve comes out of the spine and runs through the illia in the
sciatic notch. The periformis muscle also occupies this notch. ( in some
people the nerve runs through the periformis). So any restriction in this area
will impinge on the nerve and can cause an inflammation of the nerve. If the
illia is rotated anterioly this will also cause a restriction in the sacrum
and the sciatic notch.
These issues are not something to take lightly. I feel strongly that they need
to be attended to primarily by your physician and once other possible issues
have ruled out one can go for any number of therapies. In my practice I spend
at least 45 minutes in the initial client intake. Getting to know your
history. So, needless to say, anything I say here is flying quite blindly and
shooting from the hip. no pun intended.
There are numerous stretches that help with the periformis. I suggest you 1.
speak to your Dr. 2. stretch, 3. stretch, 4.stretch. If your Dr. is not
familiar with sciatica find a competent Osteopath to work with.
There are very specific referral patterns for sciatica that map neurologically
with source of the restriction. Sciatica really hurts, I know.

I hope this helps

jim pascucci
Certified Advanced Rolfer