Re: keeping weight on

> Susan , I really hate to correct you but Equine Senior has 1225 cal/Lb  DE
> compared to 900 cal/lb DE for Alfalfa Hay.
> If you have any questions about te DE of Purina Products I'll be glad to
> share
> Amber

No problem.  However, I've done alot of nutritive analysis on alfalfa
samples that easily hit 1200 cal/lb and more.  In any case, even at 1225
cal/lb, Equine Senior is still primarily a forage source.  To put on
weight, you have to increase the energy density of the ration, not
increase forage   That would be like a human being trying to put on
weight by eating nothing but plain baked potatoes---it can be done, but
you sure have to eat a truckload of it to do it (and yes, I know
potatoes are not an exact nutritional parallel with alfalfa, this is
just an example).  So I stand by my original suggestion that you can add
some sort of pellet to the diet and increase energy density somewhat,
but if you want to really increase energy, feeding pelleted feeds
(Equine Senior of alfalfa pellets) probably aren't the answer.

Thanks for the info, though.

Susan Garlinghouse