Re: Bad Disk

In a message dated 98-03-05 17:21:54 EST, connieh@etalco.com writes:

<< The lowest disk in my back is bad.  Not just bad.  Very bad.  Feels like
 I'm being stabbed with a knife when I adjust to gait changes.  After a Dr.
 visit - I was given Prednisone for a few days, then to Ibuprofen, at 600
 mg. 3 times a day.  No riding for 2 weeks at least.  Seems there might be
 nerve involvement - I'm sure of that - so if I don't get relief, may talk
 someone into an MRI.

 Has anyone had this problem?  I've been taking glucomide (sp) sulphate
 since last Oct.  No results so far.

 Any suggestion would be appreciated - after all - I live to ride!
 Connie H.

A couple of things. Avoid chiropractors. See if you can perform daily exercise
that will strengthen surrounding connective tissues. GAG supplements probably
won't help much because you're dealing with soft tissue here. However, gelatin
might help, along with mineral cofactors like zinc, chromium and manganese.
Also consider bioflavinoids, like citrus extracts and hesperidin.

In the end, it's going to be judiciously applied exercise that's going to get
you back. However, if too much damage has been done, then fusing the vertebrae
involved may be necessary.

I'm not against the GAGs; it's just that they're going to be insufficient
here.

Anti inflammatories and corticosteroids will cover the pain, but lead to
further injury. If you're completely immobile then these might be useful, but
only to enable you to exercise the affected areas.

ti