Re: keeping weight on

In a message dated 98-03-05 17:05:52 EST, paus@micoks.net writes:

<< WOW. My horse's vet just scolded me yesterday for feeding Star too well! he
 gets about a half-pound of oats a  day and a cupful of beet pulp, along
 with free choice grass/clover hay. He gets ridden about 3 times a week for
 20 to 40 miles total. Dr. Drew said lStar could stand to lose 50 to 100
 pounds! Maybe we could transfer some of it to Tony!

 chris

There are a lot of vets who don't have the foggiest idea what muscle mass
means in a performance horse. What it means is: stored glycogen. If your horse
drops 50 to 100 lbs, 90% of that is going to be working muscle.

I'll hold myself in check concerning my opinion of your vet.

ti