Re: keeping weight on

In a message dated 98-03-05 16:52:46 EST, hickst@nichols.com writes:

<< I need some ideas....Tony does not maintain his weight well
 when being ridden seriously and my spring ride schedule is
 more intensive than I've done before - I'm worried about him
 carrying enough weight into his rides. Part of it is
 temperment - he stresses over anything :) so he always drops
 weight hauling to a ride tho he's an experienced hauler. The
 other part of it is he's an angular built horse so he's
 gonna tend to show some "angles" when he gets fit.

 *However* even with all that I want him a little rounder
 than he is now going into the rides. >>

It is vital that you maintain or gain weight during training and competition.
Steps you can take: Increase daily ration. Get rid of any bran mashes. Feed
probiotics. Check teeth. Feed Gamma Oryzanol (rice hull extract). Check teeth.
Check for, and treat, ulcers. Feed more frequently each day. Add chromium
picolinate or polynicotinate to the ration, at about 6 mg/day. Make sure the
horse isn't sore. Consider Reserpine as a "calming" drug.

ti