Re: keeping weight on

In a message dated 98-03-05 20:34:04 EST, karen@chaton.gardnerville.nv.us
writes:

<< Another thing I have done, is put my horses on Strongid C (daily wormer).

I have had REALLY BAD experiences with endurance horses that have been put on
Strongid C!  It is a fabulous product for weanlings, yearlings, etc., but have
had multiple cases of post-ride colics in Strongid C endurance horses.
Considering there are not a lot of them on it, and that I see relatively few
post-ride colics overall, I can't help but feel that there is a connection.  I
don't know if it changes the gut flora or what, but have literally had the gut
shut down on some of these, requiring hospitalization and EXTREME medical
effort to get them turned around.  At any rate, it is NOT a product I
recommend for endurance horses!

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)