Re: horse behavior

In a message dated 98-03-05 00:58:19 EST, snaylor@pacific.net writes:

<< I noticed that my 11 year old Arab mare often trembles in her legs before
 going on a ride and sometimes during a ride after we stop for a rest. She
 is never hesitant to load for the ride and doesn't appear to have any other
 percular behaviors but this one. She has a lot of stamina, and does very
 well pacing herself on long rides, 20 miles and more. She seems to tremble
 more when she is around other horses. She seems to like other horses and
 always wants to greet them when I ride with others. Could this trembling be
 because she is anxious or excited, or could there be another problem that I
 need to be aware of. >

If this were a Thoroughbred racehorse, we'd call her "washy". She's on the
verge of going shockey on you--pumping out adrenaline by the bucket. She's on
the border of becoming very reluctant to perform. What we'd do is examine for
any lamenesses/sorenesses or nutritional insufficiencies, then consider
boosting calcium, and B vitamins. Also check for female problems. Run a blood
test and see if there are any stressors present that you don't know about.

She's excited, but it may be fear. Go too long in this state and you've got
sourness.

ti