Carbos Test Run 1 Oconee 25

Subject:
             carbos-test run 1 Occonee 25

Question  in an email from  'x'>>>do i understand
correctly that you're not feeding any grain at the vet holds? Only hay
and carbo-loader?<<<

I dont feed any corn the moring of the ride nor at the v checks.
I feed beet pulp and some oats- rolled
then dose the carbo with a syringe.
then let her eat grass or hay.

then just before we go I give her the electrolytes.

STUDY PART 1
First test ride was this past weekend. A 25 ld.. ha I NEVER do LDs
ahaha..
this was a control ride- no carbo loader before or during the ride
modified the feeding program..
Normal diet at night. no carbo loader.  Oats50% corn 25% barley 25%
beep pulp  ABC Plus 4 oz  ABC probi 2 oz  Riderite electrolytes

AM at 5:30  NO corn or barley..   Oats, ABC plus/Probi  Riderite
electrolytes
I planned on taking a blood test- glucose  but got busy and missed it.
off at 7:30 mid pack Kept a good pace drinking well on trail
in V1 at 12 miles by 10:15   2 min to recover   48/48 cri   going to
slow guts were a B

30 min hold  beet pulp oat about 3 lbs  mixed 50-50 and wet -she ate it
well  drank well about 2 gal
2x dose ride rite and probi.(4 oz)
Off on loop2 ---13 miles  hotter- picked up the pace. Drinking better
moving well

You know how I dont really care for the LDs.. there are 2 speeds for the

front runners  FAST and FASTER.

WELL  I had NO idea where we were in the pack but we were moving out
quite strong and  passed a bunch.
I was going with my GPS  and knew the miles -- open space trail quite
accurate.. SO when we turned off the hard road to the ole red dirt
road.. had 5 miles to go.. I let her run... and run..
HR was up there like 175 or so..but she was strong.
This was the first go for this horse. in 4 years..15 yr mare   been off
for a number of reasons. like hard to control and a old shoulder
injury.. The management issue was corrected using JLyons methods.. it
works  but thats another  story...
The old injury occured at 6 yrs old.. scar tissue and a short stride RF
cause some lameness issues.. But workouts and lots of streaches seems to

help..
Anyway back to the go-faster racing.. sure was great to run ..we NEVER
race.. HA

I jumped off about a 1/4 mile from the finish  and jogged in .. at
12.01.. or so..she was 85 and hot really blowing..ops too faster..
took about 15 minutes to drop.. I heard them call   6th place  WHATS
this ?? more water  get in the shade  and no crew..
Now you must know the riders I passed came in and almost walked
through.. While ole Flamming Fame hung up at 64..63..
7th then 8th..   holding 62.. 9th   then 10th  rats missed.. then about
a minute after 10th was called she dropped to 56..

I think she held her breath to keep me out of tt to let me know we
should not have raced in..
Came through just fine.
I guess the program is on track.
If all goes well she goes to the HorsePark 50 in 2 weeks.

POST RACE care.
Took a glucose reading.. she does not mind the lance.. like my other
mare..
  The level was quite low. 72. Not sure this was correct  but I ran 2
tests and got the same. Her norm at home is 92.
SO if i read it right she burned off most of her free blood glucose.
Depleted

Feed 2 lbs oats no corn, beet pulp and added 3 oz of the GNC HW gainer
carbo. Why? to put her back up fast. dosed ride rite electrolyte 1x and
1/2 dose lyte-now, 2 oz probi.

She rested and went to sleep  .. woke up in about an hour.. I iced her
legs during her nap.
Not sure if the insulin swing caused her to be sleepy or if she was just

tired.. like ran too fast.
I failed to take another test.
When she woke she was bright and wanted to go on a walk around the
placed.. strong and very active..
This follows what I would expect -the carbos helped to replenish her
losses faster then grain AND she did not have to manage a high grain
load, she  felt great..looked great.

I did not give anymore carbo loader.
about 4 hrs after we were back I gave her another lb of oats and 50/50
one lb barley and corn.. beet pulp  a few lbs wet
with probi.. I like that stuff.. and it cant hurt.. could her her guts
10 feet away.

So much for our first test..
Conclusion  - the glycogen burned fast in a short sprint race  ( not
full bore like the winners) but fast for this subject.. were replenished

quickly by as small dose of a carbo loader supplement after the race.
It helps in the recovery process.

Plan for the 50.. preload.. then at each v-check dose 2 to 3 oz.
I will get pre-race blood test and try for midpoint levels and finish.
We will NOT be going this fast on the 50.

I received quite a number of emails from other riders who are trying
this. Most want to keep the comments off the list. To much flack.
However is this more important information then who is packing a 44 mag?

Some were told NOT to tell the list what they feed their horse? WHY not
??this IS still legal.. until the vet commitee decides high levels of
carbos are not natural and it constituted druging?? get real.
IF feeding this stuff helps my horse do better with less damage whats
the pont.  it just processed starch and sugars..
same stuff they get from over-feeding grain.. but there is no risk of
grain overload colic  -- is there??

I will be getting the carbo loader from vita-flex. and will carry it in
the store..

The mare looks great -- running all over the place.. a very fast
recovery.. she was fit for the effort and provided with good post effort

maintainance.

So get the LEAD out --we are riding out of town for Lex Ky Rolex Horse
park..

Now its off to Leesburg VA for the AESM convention this weekend. Going
to mingle with the college set.. have to wear a real shirt and suit--
and running shoes..
A good session- Dr Mathew  M Smith,   Dr Kathlkeen Crandell- Endurnace
stuff
David O'Connor 3 Day Event   Dr Pat Harrris Nutrition
I could REALLY get in trouble here..better not talk about this .. of
course Dr Kathy C already knows what I am doing.. Does not agree..
Also session on Alternative Vet Program..maybe I should go to that one.

All the other lectures are over my head..but I may learn something.
Nutramax is the banquet sponsor.. Have to thank them for the Cocoseqen
100 Miler they are sponsoring.

Sunday it is off to Dr Waldrons shop for treadmill demos and all her
other great stuff.
Looking foward to this trip.

Had a great ride this past weekend. I REALLY do live for this sport..
you know after all the years and miles, you would think I could line up
for a short 25 mile training run and keep cool. The nerves and stomach
butterflys start at 6 am.. I dont get on until the ride starts. I was
pumped up for this LD just as I was for a 50 or 100.. I dont relax for
about 5 miles
If  the rush ever stops --I guess it will be time to quit.

I came home Sunday and took Fasha out for about an hour, then we went
out for 2 hrs Monday
There is nothing I would rather do then RIDE...
See ya
Roger R