new member about guns

Hi everyone,
I just subscribed the other day and felt that this was a good time to jump in. I have been reading all of the messages about guns and wanted to relay a story that happened to one of my friends:
She was hauling her horse up to WI from MO and stopped to get some sleep at a wayside. Her boyfriend had insisted that she bring a gun along just in case. Although she hated them she agreed and put it in the glove box. As I said she stopped at a wayside and was getting a little sleep when a bang woke her up. There was a man standing in front of her truck kicking the grill to get her to wake up. When she sat up he proceeded to show her himself and starting yelling obsinities at her. She grabbed the gun and that was all it took. He ran. Thank god she had it or who knows what he might have tried. I don't feel that I would be comfortable riding with a gun but I dont think it is such a bad idea to carry one in the vehicle just in case. Just be very carefull and respect it.
Linda