Re: Newbie Questions

Deborah Griffin wrote:

> This is my first year for distance riding and have a few questions:
> Tack-any opinions on the neophrene vs biothane vs fleece .for
> breast/crupper  pieces ?

Neoprene and Biothane both work the same way - the horse sweats and gets
the material slick. The tack slides freely over the damp skin.  All
neoprene is not created equal.  Some of the cheaper stuff seems to catch
the hair in its larger pores, pinching the hair & pulling on it.  The
best neoprene we have found to date is that which Orthoflex sells.

If you choose biothane, be sure you are getting niothane & NOT Oputhane
which delaminates.  Biothane will last much longer the Oputhane and even
longer than neoprene.  Nice thing about any of these is that they are
cleaned up with a hose!  My kind of tack cleaning.

We have always used a leather dock that is seed stuffed with our
synthetic croupers.  Our horses have been more comfortable with these.
If you have never ridden your horse with a crouper on, be sure that you
walk or lounge him a bit to be certain there won't be fireworks when you
get on & he notices the crouper for the first time.

If you choose Biothane, be sure that edges are either well skived or
turned to the outside to prevent chafing.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV