Pre-SR Saddles

I have two pre-SR saddles. When I once asked Susan Gibson what is the best made saddle and best value saddle
at the time, she said, "Gorenschek" without a hesitation. I have had them so long, and since they have been
suject to my abuses for twelve years, that I had to squint and rub hard on the stirrups in order to remember
how to spell his name.

Matt made a 14" and a 15" numbers 255 and 256 that look identical in form and function to the SR Enduro. This
was out of his backyard shop in Santa Barbara where he was an aging German saddle maker from the old school
who had adapted the newest technology of the day to the newest sport of the day, Endurance Riding.  I still
use those saddles every time I ride. One saddle is going back to Steve G. this week to have new stirrups put
on (one side has stretched over an inch and a half from getting on and off some much in the years).

About the time Matt Gorenschek became a hospice patient he began apprenticing Steve Gonzales on how to make
his saddles and use his tools. The result is the SR Enduro. My parents want me to get a new saddle for
Christmas this year (though I didn't tell them how much a SR was and I will have to make up a significant
difference) but after looking at all of the saddles at the convention I believe that I will be getting another
one!

Ask Steve Gonzales what he knows about the Cuesta/Sespe 400 Mile Trail. He grew up on parts of it.

Steve Shaw