Re: Hobbles

I'd be very careful about using hobbles at rides - or probably not at all.  A
couple of summers ago, we were on a back country campout.  Three of our seven
horses were hobbled.  Two of the horses were loose - just grazing.  Suddenly,
they ALL decided to take off down the trail at a fast gallop, including the
hobbled horses.

Fortunately, they came back to camp.  One of the hobbled horses had obviously
taken a pretty bad spill with a scrapped up nose and bloody knees.  She wasn't
injured badily but it could have been worse.

Imagine if we were all asleep and this happened??

Also, the first time I put Countach in hobbles, he was across the pasture at a
full gallop in no time.  It's scary to watch but they figure it out.

Diana & Countach
San Jose, CA