Re: Re: picket lines

Haven't seen a comment on prep before tying a leg to a ground tie.  Having
known a few horses that panic when 'caught' in anything.   I would suggest
something like Parelli's desensitizing method or any other that 'trains' the
horse to 'release' pressure.

I use a 12' soft lead rope lightly hook behind pastern; ask with a gentle
pressure for the horse to pick his foot up.  Some will comply, some will pull
away.  I release one end if over reacting and start quietly again.  Never try
to hold-this only confirms his need to panic.  When this is comfortable; I ask
him to put his foot down slightly forward/backward or outward.  When this is
comfortable; I then ask him to lead by the leg.  (Some horses are leading
quietly in 15/20 minutes & some take longer.  Sometimes hindlegs take longer
also).  This has a tendency to also help a horse not to panic if tangled and
no help is around.  Cindy