bringing up baby

Hi all,
    Well, after lurking on this list for nearly three years I finally
have something to ask.
I was absolutely stunned last winter when my husband told me to go pick
up my birthday present. After twenty three years of marriage I had given
up on the idea of him ever buying me a horse - especially since after
eighteen years of marriage I bought my own!  I had not even been looking
for another horse, but he's heard me talk about endurance, and how I'd
really like to try it someday.......but my gelding is too lazy for it.
    Anyway, he bought me an arab filly.  She's now a yearling (though
her birthdate is not until late MAY)  I want to bring her along slowly -
I do not plan to even ride her until she is a solid three.  I am
experienced with horse training - but I would like to hear some tips on
how others have 'raised' their own LD mounts.  Do you begin the
conditioning even before you ride?  I have lovely access to miles of
trails that I could pony her on and my older gelding would allow me to
do that, but is there a benefit to doing so?  Any other things you do
differently with endurance prospects?

Thanks, Susan