Re: wither tracing

Hi Kimberley, sorry, I accidently pushed the send button before I was
finished. hate this windows 95 keyboard!

That's easy. I went to an office supply shop and bought a thing called a
flexicurve. It is used by draftsmen. It bends, but has ruler marks on it.
You may also use a piece of clothes hanger or baling wire.

Take the wire or whatgever, place it at the horse's withers and press it
down on either side, behind the shoulder. The flexicurve is best because it
stays where you put it. The baling wire or clothes hanger will take some
doing.

The wire should be sitting on the horse where the front of the saddle will
sit. When it is pressed into place on the horse, CAREFULLY lift it off. Lay
it down on a piece of paper or cardboard and trace around the wire. This is
the shape of your horse's back where the saddle belongs.

Some saddlers will tell you to fax them a copy of the wither tracing. They
compare that to their templates. I prefer to make a cardboard tracing, then
cut it out. I can take that with me to a saddle shop and place it under a
saddle to see if the fit is close. It can help you rule out some saddles
right away.

It is also an eye opener as to what different saddles call a regular tree
and what they call wide. There is a lot of variation.

good luck

chris paus & star