RE: Suggestions to stop a kicker

Hi Frank:

	I have experienced your same problem with my gelding, Merx.  He was a
kicker.  He loves to tailgate but hates to be tailgated.  He no longer ever
tries to kick.

	What I did was I just started riding with a dressage whip (or a crop will
do).  Whenever someone got behind him, he'd flatten his ears and kick out.
I would immediately with a flick of the wrist pop him on the butt.  The
dressage whip can deliver a quicker pop because you can carry it tucked
behind you, already near the rump.  Of course, the punishment must take
place immediately and need not be harsh.  You're only saying "that is not
acceptable."  It took my horse no time at all to figure it out, and this
was at a time when I was pregnant and only riding once on the weekend.  So
just do this each time you ride until you're sure everything is taken care
of.  Every so often if going out with a crowd of unfamiliar horses, I'd
take a crop just in case he got the urge.  He never has.  It worked like a
charm.
	I must say to you thanks, too, for giving a darn that your horse is a
kicker.  I have friends whose horses are kickers and it's annoying that
they are unwilling to attempt to break them of this dangerous habit.  You
know, if they tried and failed, okay.  But to not care enough to try is
annoying when you have to ride with them.  I try not to now.

Good luck, Lori Sumrall