stirrup-eye

Me too, I was de-tacking one day (with regular iron stirrups) , tossed
one  over the saddle (like a cowboy) instead of running it up the
leather.  As I  leaned forward to unbuckle the girth, the stirrup came
back over and smacked me right of the bridge of the nose!  I almost
fainted, I almost died...  thank goodness the horse was tired and steady
because all I could do was clutch on to his leg and try to breathe deep.
 Had two black eyes and a funny looking nose for a while!  The helmet
didn't help...