Re: Stumbling

Bob & Amber Roberts wrote:

> Does anyone have problems with their horse stumbling, no matter the
> angle of the hoof?  If so, what is the solution?

Our mare Katy stumbled quite a bit when she was younger---she wasn't a
klutz, she just got so interested in what was going on around her that
she didn't pay attention to where she was putting her feet.  She relied
too much on me to watch the trail and yell, "Hey, watch out, idiot!"
before she wandered off cliffs.  I wrapped her legs and ponied her alot
off of Cato, gave her enough rope to hang herself with, so to speak, and
walked, trotted and cantered her over rough trail---nothing dangerous,
just lots of little erosion ditches, rocks, logs, up hill, down dale,
and no fair hanging back in Cato's shadow.  I crashed her through every
bush I could find, but always gave her a "way out" if she would just
look for it and take it.  Pretty soon she started figuring out she
better start paying attention.  Now she's a little mountain goat.

Not a solution for every horse, but worked for me.

Susan Garlinghouse