RE: Belly Lifts

Lucy,
Your horse's head and neck flexibility doesn't necessarily mean there isn't
any spasms in her back or gluteal (butt) muscles.  The only way to find out
about these is to palpate (feel).  Abdominal strength like the rest of the
muscles come with conditioning.  Play around with different pressure depths
and with different pressure widths (hand, fingers, one finger, like Kat
suggested..hoof pick, etc)  Try "sandwiching" your hands on her...one on
her back and one directly underneath on her belly (my guy is easy to do
this one because he is only 14 1 1/2 ! )  The main thing is is to get to
know how she reacts to the pressure of your hands.
Susie & James