Re: Selinium requirements

Interesting.

For your 900lb (aprox 400kg) horse eating 20 lb (approx. 9kg). The numbers
as follows:

            Recom        Max      Toxic        LD50

Heide     8-10         n/a           60-90      n/a
Duncan  na             18            n/a          n/a
Susan     na             18             *          1320*
NRC      0.9           18             na         1320
Hart       1              na              2            na
Giffen    0.9           na             80           n/a
UCD     0.3            na             na           n/a

na - no number given in post.
* Susan posted this (3.3 mg/kg body weight) as toxic in her post, but it is
the LD50 number from NRC.

The maximum tolerable level is not the same as toxic. There is some 'safety
factor' in that number. Good studies of actual amounts needed for toxicity
are difficult to perform without sacrificing a lot of horses. LD50 is a
number designating the dosage resulting in 50% fatality (probably over a
specified time period - I don't know the exact details of this common
measure of toxicity). However, that still leaves a huge discrepancy. I will
leave it to others with better access to more recent studies to give them if
the NRC recommendations are outdated.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net