Saddles I use

Folks are interested in the saddles used in endurance that are
represented on the list...  Here are mine.

I currently ride in an Orthoflex Express Lite - love the saddle for my
very large, level-backed Arab.  I find it well made, secure, lots of
places to hang things.  I could be MUCH happier if the biothane stirrup
leathers didn't dig into my leg so much.  I'd like to have the girth set
further back - I guess next time or with a future refurbishment.  It
isn't a saddle for every horse as some claim, but it does it's job well
for ours.

I also have a slightly narrower endurance saddle in a western style made
by Hooks of Kalispell, Montana using Hermann Oak leather & brass
fittings.   I find it well made, secure, lots of places to hang things.
It has seen heavy use over >15 years and it is still going strong.  (I
did replace the stirrup leathers & fenders twice.)  VERY NICE adjustable
rigging based on the McClellan military saddles.  It goes from full to
center-fir rigged, depending on need.  As many places to hang things as
I could find things to hang :)

Speaking of McClellans, we have 6.  Each was a handcarved tree, so there
is quite a bit of variation from one to another.  3 fit our TB/QH
depending on what weight he is carrying.  I've yet to ever find one that
would fit any of my Arabs, though.  (These saddles are narrow!)  I find
them uncomfortable to ride in, but my husband likes them.  The seat is
flat and balanced for best riding position.  The peak in front <can> get
you in the chest in a steep lounge up a bank, etc.

I used a Courbette Husar jumping saddle on a mare that was built like a
narrow beam through her back.  It fit her well, but I got sore knees and
lower back from the position that it forced you to assume.  Not enough
places to hang things.  I'd recommend taking an english saddle to a
repairman for additional d rings.  Also, I'd look into the cantle packs
that are designed for these saddles - they attach to the girth billets
as there isn't anywhere else for them to go.

Another mare (in the early 80's) needed a Monte Foreman western saddle.
OK number of places to hang things, but way too heavy (~40 lbs).  This
was a custom saddle with the stirrups back a bit.  The horn hit me in
the chest on any steep sections - yuch!

Cheers,

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch