Re: Dogs and Trail Riding

<< We have two GREAT trail dogs, who go out with us on all of our
      conditioning rides (and whine miserably back in camp when we leave
      them while competing).

      The younger of the two is a black lab cross (and is so injury prone
      --impalings on branches, porcupines, tangles with farm equipment,
      stepped on by the lead horse on a ride, etc.-- that there was a time
      we called her 'Deathwish Deva', who last week ripped her dewclaw while
      playing.  Our vet wrapped it up, gave us some antibiotics, and made a
      surgery appointment for us for TOMORROW to have both dewclaws removed
      (since we do so much riding thru woods with the dogs).  She'll be on
      'restricted activity' for two weeks, during which it will be difficult
      to determine who will go lulu first, the dog (from lack of exercise)
      or us (from having to put up with same).

      So, here's the question.  Should we do it?  Have any of you done the
      same?  Any warnings, words of wisdom, or suggestions?

I think this is a related topic since so many seem to want their canine pals
along for the ride. In the words of our close vet friend, "they would rather
stay at home and sleep in the sun anyway. The commotion of public places is
disconcerting to your pets". Not only THAT, but in order to keep my pets safe,
AND keep them from being a nuisance and a hazard, I must attend to them much
more than I truly have time to, and there is enough to do at an event - show,
ride, etc. It is one mor ething to concern with, and you HAVE TO. I consider
loose dogs, barking dogs, and dog excrement all over the place a bloody
nuisance when I am readying for a ride or show - and so ours stay home -
happily. Certainly there is a concern for the safety of the dogs, but in
addition, there is the safety of other riders, understanding that not ALL
horses are accustomed to having dogs racing about or jumping at their heels.

So...in answer to this question: Well, do you want more to worry about and do
you wnat to have to babysit your pets on a ride? If you bring them you will
have to do so.
p.s. more rides are not allowing dogs to attend. We like this.