Re: More on picket lines?

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998 16:52:01 -0800, Connie DeJong <cdejong@cisco.com>
wrote:

> Use a cowboy hard rope, that's what all the packers do.  It's best to use
> the correct knots for this, you can find a book on horse packing in most western tack stores that will describes the type of knots best suited for picket lines.
> Might also be at the library, we keep ours in the camper so I don't have the title handy.
> Connie

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

When I worked as a packer (yes, a girl... looked more a boy then) for
many seasons with a commercial East Sierra pack outfit, carrying around
the extra weight and bulk of lariats and misc. hardware for picket lines
was not feasible.  We used our lash lines instead, which are the 50 foot
nylon ropes used to tie down the load on a pack mule/horse.  Well, 50
foot length depends what hitch you were throwing, actually, they tended
to range from 35 to 50+ ft or so.

Anyway, nylon didn't stretch much, and we always tied a "modified"
bowline on one end to allow for a quick release if needed.  The
modification involved running the end of the rope back through the hole
from where it originated... pull the end in an emergency, and the "loop"
pulls through, dropping the picket line (Before tightening down the
picket line, create "stops" every three feet by tying a doubled
"half-hitch"... this is made by grabbing a section of line, doubling it
over, and tying the very simple knot that looks like a pretzel).

We tied the horses to the line using a loose bowline which slid across
the picket line. The stops kept them from running each other over, and
stops were tied a couple of feet from the tree.  We used sections of
cardboard "stolen" from the "kitchen" boxes to keep the ropes from
damaging the tree bark (just slip cardboard between the rope and bark).
Never let the trail cook catch you doing this though, otherwise you'll
have to fish for your meals instead!

The lines were kept as high or higher than one foot from the top of the
saddle horn.  Although endurance saddles usually don't have horns, the
concept is the same.  You may find yourself saddling on the line, and
you don't want to hang your saddle, spooking your horse.  For excitable
steeds, we ran the lines extremely high (above raised head height) to
prevent accidental "hanging".  Usually, pack stock are calm, mellow
types.

The buddy system works great for the excitable ones... see if you can't
find a calm "friend" to tie on the same line.

We fed any grain and pellets in nosebags on the line... never tried to
feed hay on the ground though (can't feed hay if you don't pack in hay
(g)).

And, as a final note (from someone who would like to see horse trails
around for many years), please select a picket area that is rather bare
of vegetation already (don't want to have the Forest Service angry for
destructive, pawing horses tearing up the plant life), spread out or
remove manure, and tie your line at least 100 feet or more from open
water sources (creeks, streams, lakes, etc.).  Just my two bits, as
usual.

Kim (and ohhhh-nosebags-yumm) 'Lee