completion times

--
Rancho Occhialini
"Where the fat guy lumbers"

I have been reading the post on the completion times and up till now was
content to agree and disagree in the comfort and privacy of my home.
However the post from the rider who was weighing whether to stop to help
a fellow rider with a broken arm or continue on to get a completion was
a little frightening to read.  If you have to even think about stopping
to aid someone in distress, you are not anyone I want on a ride with
me.  When the Castle Rock ride was held 2 years ago(?) the weather was
unusually hot and humid.  My husband and his friend were within 10 miles
of completion, when they came upon a horse in full tack standing off to
the side of the trail.  They dismounted and discovered a rider about 30
feet away from her horse, disoriented and dehydrated.  After giving her
water, and getting her back on her horse they walked her in to the next
vet check.  They were able to complete the ride, but that wasn't even a
concern at the time.  I was pleased that they had stopped, but did not
consider that it was exceptional behavior, because any of the group that
I ride with would have done the same thing .
Also, if you have a ride that is experiencing extemely difficult and
dangerous weather, cancel it.  Why lengthen the completion times and
force an animal to be exposed to these conditions even longer than
necessary.  Leave the rule the way it is,  go out, ride the ride and
have a good time.

Karin Occhialini