Re: AERC completion time rule - feedback wanted

>In a message dated 98-01-15 05:25:13 EST, ruck@internetwis.com writes:
>
><< One of the great things about
> this sport is the support we get from one another even in the heat of
> competition. If one is going to be penalized for not helping a fellow
> rider, we will be putting our sport in jepordy of  becoming a less "user
> friendly" sport and turning it into a much more cutthroat activity. >>
>
>if you are in the "heat" of competition..stopping to help a fellow rider will
>in 99.9% of the cases, NOT put you overtime...unless, that is, you consider
>the "turtle" award a "heated" competition....
>
>Teddy

Several years ago I had the honor of racing in with Lawton Johnson for
first place.  We were about a mile from the finish and Lawton's horse fell
at a gallop.  We were side by side on a hard dirt road and Misty somehow
managed to jump over the crash and I managed to stay on her.  I stopped.
Did I consider other riders that might pass and win because they would not
stop.  NO, this is not what the sport is about.  I made sure that Lawton
did not need immediate first aid, profuse bleeding, compound fracture, out
cold, etc.  Since he was dazed but otherwise okay - thank goodness for
helmets - I told him to stay there and I would send help.  The ride was
being run by a bunch of nurses who could be of a lot more help than I and
his horse needed a vet.

So after about five minutes I hopped on Misty and I have never ridden as
fast in my life to get back to camp and send help.  Lawton was a bit beat
up but he was back in the saddle at a ride three months later as was his
horse and Lawton is still riding this mare.  So all ended well.

Was I worried about the ride - absolutely not a comrade was down that was
what was important.  When we unintentionally put in rules that puts riders
in a position that they have to be more concerned about completition than
helping a fellow rider, then we need to address the rules. If we do it
intentionally then we better start looking inside to see what we are really
made of.

Joe you have my support 100% in your efforts.

Truman

Truman Prevatt
Mystic "The Horse form Hell" Storm
Little Stormy - getting ready for her first ride in six years
The Rockman, a.k.a Misty Jr.
Jordy, a.k.a. Bridger - Finaly getting his shot

Sarasota, FL