Price of Horses

I have just returned from some time spent in Canada and had the opportunity
to read the Ridecamp issues that backed up on my email. I was particularly
interested in those on "price" as I was purchased three horses in the last
several months. While in Canada, I purchased a wonderul mare from Christy
Janzen.  CC is a very experienced, push-button endurance horse which was
what I wanted after buying Baby Tzar last summer and realizing that at age 4
and barely greenbroke, we had about 4 more years to go before he can really
be a serious endurance horse.

As I searched for horses, something affected the price more than you might
realize--many owners were very concerned about the future home.  The price
actually went down when the future of the horse was secure.  Christy reduced
to price to get CC in a situation that would allow her to compete and use
her skills well.  I consider CC an incredible bargain.  I also believe she
could have brought a much higher price.

Baby Tzar was part of a show breeding program and I probably paid more than
was expected for a greenbroke 4 year old who was going into endurance, but
he is going to be very good.  His P&R's are exceptional and he seems to love
this sport. His purchase price will be minor compared to the hours of time
and energy that will go into making him as experienced as CC. His breeder
calls all the time to see how he is doing and his price was "negotiated"
downward a bit because the breeder wanted him involved in a performance
sport.  (By the way, his breeder called me last night and is having a sale
and has some really good prospects--email me if you want more information).

When you are talking to an owner or a breeder, tell them your plans and how
you will provide for the horse.  The price many surprise you.

After raising Quarter Horses and now warmbloods, even our best endurance
horses are really cheap by comparison.

Joane