Young horses etc....

Trish,
I too have a young horse, and although he was broken in at 3yo, he's now 4 yo
and a total handful! I am going to send him to a very tough trainer before I
do any more ridden work on him. He scares me, I admit it, and after reading
about all the others who are in similar positions to myself with green
horses, I think I am going to up my health insurance! I have ridden him twice
and he's fast and very floaty, I feel like his feet are way off the ground,
and he likes to barrel around whilst evading the bit. He's also a real up-on-
his-toes shier. My mare can shy from one side of a track to the other, but
this guy is something else, and I can feel his terror - he even 'roars' with
arched neck and flared to the max nostrils. On the ground he is a puppy dog,
except if you take him away from his familiar surroundings, in which case he
does his shying and 'roaring' thing all over you! I will not keep him if I
feel he's too much of a handful after the trainer and some work, as I agree
that my skin is worth more than keeping a green horse just for the sake of
my ego, or because he's very pretty - I think he's probably a lot like your
David! I have been using the round pen JLyons lead mare thing with much
success, but this does not change his attitude once mounted. It is quite
difficult to get hold of JLyons info here in Australia, so any suggestions
would be most welcome. If you do not have the money for a round pen right
away, you could try what I did and use star steel pickets for the uprights
with 3 runs of electric tape and a tape 'gate', which can then be attatched
to a portable unit, or not electrified at all, which none of my horses have
even questioned. I can free lunge, stop, turn etc. even with my young fella,
and it's relatively inexpensive and portable. I've even used it for teaching
hobbles. Good luck,
Carol and the
gang.