AERC Completion Time Rule

Steph Teeter wrote:

> I'd like some feedback from AERC members - and ride managers,
> on the existing completion time rule, and the desirability of an
> exception to it.
>
> The current rule (5) states (briefly) that competitors are allowed
> 12 hours for 50 miles, 24 hours for 100, and so on according
> to the time/mileage chart. This includes all hold time.
>
> I am *considering* proposing an exception to this rule, and would like
> pro & con feedback from the membership. The proposed exception
> would provide an 'escape clause' for ride managers to use when
> extenuating circumstances prevent a rider, or riders from finishing
> in the alloted time. Something like:
>
> "Ride managers may, at their discretion, grant _completion only_
> (no points or placing) to riders who complete the course, but do
> not finish within the allowed time, due to extenuating circumstances."

Steph,

        I don't see how this rule change would benefit the rider (he
still would not get a placing or points).   This actually would really
be a "hard luck" award which would not require an AERC rule change in
order
for the ride manager to give this.

        Last year when we had a problem on the trail with a rider that
caused a back up and blockage of the trail for a period of time, I did
give all the 25 milers an award even if they were late.  But I am
upfront with the riders and announce at the ride meeting that if they do
not finish in time, they will not receive a completion.  My feeling has
always been that granting completions to those riders who do not make it
in the alloted time is not fair to those riders who have conditioned
their horses to complete the ride in the time allowed. I know there are
some rides that simply "stop the clock" and allow all riders a
completion, but I personally don't agree with that.   I realize that
"manure happens" and there are times when, through no fault of the
rider,  circumstances prevent a rider from completing, and that's
unfortunate, but that is part of the sport.

        That's just my perspective.

Terry Woolley Howe
San Diego