Warner Springs (Long)

El Nino has the Southern California Ride Calendar and strikes again.  The
weather report Thursday night said 1/4 to 3/4 inch of rain possible.  We got
that much just getting to the ride.  The camp filled up fast and everyone was
in good spirits.  The rains continued.  Terry had ridecamp badges and I got to
meet other ridecampers.  This is my first post, but I have been enjoying
ridecamp for about a year now.

This was to be my first 50 on my new horse, ReinBeau.  We were as prepared for
the rain as I could think of things to buy.  I had goretex socks for my feet,
StateLine's Mountain Horse rain coat, gloves, insulated winter riding pants,
waterproof mittons, fleece eat protectors, yellow rain slicker, Aussie rain
coats, etc.  For ReinBeau I brought two nylon winter blankets, hood, coolers
and his brand new polar fleece blanket (made by Cory Navoy another
ridecamper), and rain sheets that I got from Stateline many years ago and had
only used once.  I was as prepared as I could think of.

The rains continued, and continued, and continued.  All night we got no sleep
as the rain pounded the top of our motor home.  We were one of the lucky ones,
as we only found one leak and it wasn't over the bed, but our refrigerator
decided not to work.  Who needed cold drinks and ice cream anyway.  All night
I was trying to decide what to wear.  I had more choices than most.  The rains
continued, and continued and continued.  This is Southern California and it's
not supposed to do this.  At 4:30am I got up to feed and Terry came over said
the ride was cancelled.  I told her I supported her decision 100%.  People
from other parts of the country probably don't understand what 3-4 inches of
rain does to us.  We get heavy run off and dangerous conditions.  Cancelling a
ride with 160 entries must have been an agonizing decision for Terry.  She
cancelled it for two reasons and rider comfort was not one of them.  The
concern was for the horses (and riders) getting hurt on the trails from the
very muddy conditions and for the trails themselves.  I was relieved the ride
was cancelled and disappointed also.  I would not have wanted ReinBeau to get
hurt.  We've worked hard to get to this point in his training and I want his
first 50 to be enjoyable.

Terry called a rider meeting at 8:00am and gave the riders choices as to what
to do about refunds.  If you donated your entry back to the ride, you would
get a completion award and a drawing would be held for weight division awards,
top ten etc., roll your entry over to another one of our rides or get a full
refund.

As riders left and headed out, the mud hole in front of the gate got worse and
worse.  Finally a tractor was called in and several had to be towed through.
We left about noon and other gates were reopened and we did fine.  I put my
horse away, unloaded a few things and Rhonda and John Kabot and I headed back
up for the awards/dinner and a dip in the mineral pool.

The pool was great, even though it was still raining (reduced to a mist), the
dinner was excellent and the awards banquet was probably one of the most fun
ones I have attended.  Riders like me, who just ride to have a good time and
finish with a happy sound horse, got equal chance to get awards for top ten
and weight division.  I sat at the table with Theresa Bitondo and Maureen
Sullivan who seemed to win everything.  It was a really fun time.  Terry
managed to made a disappointing time into something special as usual.  I got
my completion award for the "Fantasy 50", had a great time and am not stiff
and sore.  ReinBeau thinks he really did do his first 50 as I have a beautiful
sweatshirt that says he did, even though he never left his pen.  I, as his
Mom, think he did a 50 miler from just from being excited and  doing laps in
his pen.  ReinBeau and I think the "Fantasy 50" was a great idea from Terry.

At dinner we heard the horror stories from riders who went out and rode the
first 14 mile loop.  Bogs, very deep river crossings and dangerously muddy
conditions were the subject.

I never heard any rider not support Terry's decision to cancel this ride.
What ended up a disappointment to all turned out to be fun and I want to thank
Terry putting together such a fun time.  Thanks Terry.

Cindy Crook