[Fwd: Re: Pony prices and training]

-- BEGIN included message

I have to ride down residential streets also and for along time it was
like running the gauntlet-pure terror.  From barking dogs to skate
boards to lawn machinery to pickups whizzing past with tarps flapping
out the back it  seemed every house provided their own horse-eating
threat.  I tried many of the methods you all mentioned but still had to
get off and walk home more than a few times.  The thing that worked was
just keeping at it no matter how miserable it was.

  My friend Edie Whiting is fond of saying it just takes lots of wet
saddle blankets and that's the truth.  Eventually the horse learns that
you'll take care of him and these scary things won't get him.  I knew we
had turned a corner training-wise when my horse saw someone flinging
pieces of roofing from the roof into a metal box and barely batted an
eye.  Just takes time, experience, and a willingness to suffer a bit in
the meantime.  :-)

Karen
Ormond Beach

-- END included message