Re: Pony prices and training

Because of horse transportation problems, I am having to ride my horse on
roads also. He can be pretty spooky but seems to trust me when it comes to
individual monsters. My problem is that when we get to 2 monsters I have a
problem. He is not afraid of alot of things that he should have more respect
for. Cars and dogs don't bother him. Yesterday on our ride we had 2 situations
that got a little hairy in my mind. First, a backhoe was coming up the road
toward us. I moved him to the opposite side of the road. He started getting
antsy because of this large, funny looking, noisy machine. Then on our side of
the road came a pit bull. I knew the backhoe wasn't going to get us but wasn't
so sure about the pit bull. He looked serious as we started to violate his
territory. Well, Sawyer could care less about any barking and growling dog, so
he continued to move further into the dogs territory. Yuk. We ended up without
attack from either monster but it sure did make me nervous. The other thing
that Sawyer does is he'll take a wide sweep around some inanimate monsters.
Even if that means getting in the way of cars (which he could care less
about). That happened as we were coming off a bridge and the end railing had
all his attention and a car coming towards the bridge gave him no concern
whatsoever and he moved out into the middle of the road and no amount of
prodding would get him back towards the rail. There was no real danger as the
car had slowed down enough to stop if necessary but it is still not the place
to be. Anyway, we have work to do.

Ed and Sawyer who wishes we had the truck and trailer back to get outta these
scary places.